A Guide to Condo Living in Waterloo
The Waterloo Ontario real estate market offers a diverse variety of condominium buildings, each catering to different lifestyles and preferences. Condos for sale in Waterloo Ontario can be ideal for empty nesters looking to downsize in space and reduce maintenance responsibilities; young professionals eager to live in a vibrant community of like-minded peers; or new families ready to enter the real estate market. Let’s take a closer look at what you can expect from condo living in Waterloo.
Benefits of Condo Living in Waterloo:
- Added Amenities: Many condo buildings include convenient on-site amenities, such as swimming pools, fitness facilities, theatre rooms, recreation rooms and event spaces. Some condos also offer secured entrances, or on-site security and concierge services.
- Connection: Different condo buildings are often geared towards particular demographics, such as students or young families. With common areas typically available on-site, the condo setting creates the opportunity to connect with other residents who share your values and interests.
- Shared Costs: Monthly condo fees are put towards a reserve fund which usually covers the cost of any major repairs and maintenance that may be needed in your unit or building. If additional funds are required, the expenses are shared with the other members of your condo association.
- Less Maintenance: Your condo fees fund everyday maintenance of the condo building, which means you don’t have to worry about time-consuming tasks such as shoveling snow or mowing the lawn.
Most of Waterloo’s newest condo buildings are concentrated in the Uptown Waterloo area, the town’s lively city center. Many condos for sale in Waterloo Ontario are in this neighbourhood which is just steps away from Waterloo’s best dining, shopping, and culture. Some condos are perfect for those who want to live at the heart of Waterloo’s pulsating urban life, while others are set in quieter neighbourhoods that are still proximal to Uptown’s convenient amenities.
Waterloo Condo Buildings:
- The Alex: Located on a peaceful street in the heart of Uptown Waterloo, the Alex offers an excellent balance between residential and urban living. The three-storey brick building used to serve as school, a history evident in its spacious hallways and staircases which give the building added character. Units range in size from 608 to 1400 square feet.
- The Bauer Lofts: This 15-storey loft-style residence is ideally located south of Waterloo Town Square. With exciting dining and shopping options available at neighbouring Bower Kitchen, plus an exercise facility and resident lounge available in the building, the Bauer Lofts feels almost like a private, self-contained community. The building is situated in one of the most vibrant areas of the city, and in close proximately to the Waterloo’s in-construction light rail line system.
- BPF Lofts: The 18-unit BPR Lofts convey a more intimate feeling although, with high ceilings and large windows, the units are nonetheless spacious. The bright units consist of one bedroom or a den with two bedrooms, and allow in plenty of natural light. Set in the north end of UpTown Waterloo, the lofts are a short distance away from shopping and dining, as well as close to both universities.
- Red Condominium: Red Condominium is set in one of Waterloo’s trendiest neighbourhoods, yet the building manages to evoke a more low-key feeling compared to the ultra-chic residences found nearby. The low-rise building includes 63 units, which range in size from 523 to 1640 square feet. Residents have access to a lounge, outdoor terrace, and fitness center. The building is close to the city’s developing light rail system, and the condo fees are a little more affordable than comparable units.
- Reflections at Laurelwood: Reflections at Laurelwood is one of the first condo buildings to offer units in a more peaceful, suburban area of the city. With private balconies and walk-in closets, the units are sleek and modern yet more budget-friendly than most units found closer to UpTown. This building is perfect for those who enjoy having access to ample amenities, but prefer living away from bustling UpTown in a more laid-back, community-oriented neighbourhood.
- The Seagram Lofts: The Seagram Lofts were among the first lofts to open in Waterloo and their popularity has helped to fuel the development of similar building projects. Units range from 1115 to 2435 square feet in size, making them larger than most other condo units offered in the area. In addition to being close to the shops and restaurants of UpTown Waterloo, the Seagram Lofts are located on the path of the city’s pending light rail system.
- Silver Thread Lofts: Set in the former Silver Thread Sauerkraut factory, the Silver Thread Lofts are the epitome of industrial elegance with exposed ceilings and ductwork. They’re located in the charming Mary Allan heritage neighbourhood, within a short walk of UpTown Waterloo and easily accessible from the highway. The building’s fitness room includes the unique addition of a rock climbing wall.
- The 42: Its commitment to sustainability and eco-consciousness sets the 42 apart from other condominiums. The building features 54 chic units, which range in size from 630 to 1605 square feet. The units have a high-end loft-style feeling, and offer pretty views over the city. The building is within walking distance of UpTown Waterloo’s amenities. The units include oversized windows and glass balconies, while the building offers a modern fitness center, resident lounge, and lobby.
- The Glen Royal: The Glen Royal is home to some of the largest condominium suites in the city, many of which have been recently updated with new kitchens and bathrooms. The building offers an exceptional range of facilities, including indoor pool and whirlpool, sauna, tennis court, fitness facility, and resident lounge. The building is set in the heart of Waterloo, but the surrounding green space adds a sense of tranquility to the location.
- Westmount Grand: The 72 units in Westmount Grand feature impressive views of UpTown Waterloo, as well as the nearby Westmount Golf and Country Club. The building includes a library, event room, rooftop patio with BBQ facilities, study, and a fitness center with steam rooms. Located in the lovely Old Westmount neighbourhood, the condo is within walking distance of the Belmont Village shopping district, the natural scenery at Waterloo Park, and the urban amenities of UpTown.