Waterloo Senior Living
A Guide to Senior Living in Waterloo
Frequently ranked as one of the best places to live in Canada, Waterloo, Ontario is an excellent city to call home at any age. Waterloo combines the friendliness of a small town, with enough shopping, dining and entertainment options to rival a much larger city. It offers an extensive network of trails and public transportation, and the Waterloo Adult Recreation Centre regularly organizes enjoyable activities and events for seniors. When researching real estate in Waterloo, Ontario, seniors and their families have a range of different housing options to consider. Here’s a brief overview of what seniors retiring in Waterloo can expect.
Housing Options for Seniors in Waterloo, Ontario:
- Downsizing: Depending on the senior’s health status and mobility, the smaller houses for sale in Waterloo, Ontario can be an ideal first option. Moving to a smaller home can often reduce overall expenses, with lower maintenance costs, utility bills, and mortgage or rent payments. A smaller home also means less space to manage, which can make it easier for the senior to clean and maintain.
- Active Adult Living Communities: These communities can include seniors’ apartments, single-family homes, townhomes, condos, or special subdivisions. Recreational facilities and activities are typically available right on-site, including golf courses, tennis courts, spas, swimming pools, fitness centres, and shops. As the name suggests, these communities are geared towards seniors looking to live in a like-minded community, rather than those who need extensive support and living assistance. As with any home, however, there’s always the option to hire in-home care separately.
- Independent Living Communities: These housing units cater towards older adults, with residents living in their own homes or apartments. Seniors living in these communities do not require 24-hour health care, but meals, housekeeping, transportation, activities, and daily check-ins, among other services, are usually offered. Fitness centres, lounge areas, and 24-hour security are also a common feature.
- Retirement Residences and Long Term Care Homes: Retirements residences, or assisted living facilities, are designed for seniors who require daily support. These residences typically provide three meals a day in a common dining room, along with 24-hour assistance with housekeeping, dressing, and bathing, plus access to health services. Long Term Care Homes assist seniors who need an additional level of support, including regular nursing care, personal care services, and perhaps occupational or speech therapy.
Senior Housing in Waterloo, Ontario:
- Chartwell Retirement Residences – Terrace on the Square: This 89-suite residence offers independent and assisted living options. Located in UpTown Waterloo, the building is a short walk away from shops, medical offices, and restaurants. It also puts residents in an ideal spot to enjoy many of the city’s annual events, such as the Santa Claus Parade or Oktoberfest. The building features unfurnished studio and one-bedroom units, in addition to an art centre, internet room, library, lounge, fitness room and spa in the common areas. A range of services, including housekeeping, shuttle services, and healthcare, are also available.
- Clair Hills Retirement Community: Clair Hills is located a short distance away from the city’s universities, parks, Clair Creek, and West Side Marketplace. The building provides independent and assisted living facilities, but can also accommodate short term stays and respite care. Seniors can choose from studio, one- or two-bedroom suites, with some suites also including a living room, balcony or walkout patio. The building features an exercise room with salt water pool, salon and spa, theatre, lounge, and pub.
- The Court at Laurelwood: The Court at Laurelwood offers studio apartments, as well as one- and two- bedroom suites. Overlooking the Laurel Creek Conservation Area, the residence is close to shops, restaurants, golf courses, and attractions like Doon Pioneer Village and St. Jacob’s Market. Independent living, short term stay, and respite stay options are all available. Facilities include an arts and crafts room, a wellness and fitness centre, and an outdoor garden.
- Lutherwood – Luther Village on the Park: This retirement community offers independent living in townhomes and main building units, along with assisted living units with additional care services. The building features an on-site woodworking shop, hair salon, fitness centre, quilting room, and wellness centre. Set in UpTown Waterloo, the community is within walking distance of Waterloo Park, Waterloo Recreation Complex, as well as plenty of shopping and entertainment options.
- Parkwood Suites: This 6-storey residence provides independent, assisted, and supported living facilities in one- or two-bedroom units. Facilities include a gym and therapeutic pool at the affiliated Parkwood Centre for Community Health and Wellness, along with an on-site craft room, library, education room, and dining room. Located in a quiet neighbourhood, the residence offers easy access to walking trails, a golf course, and RIM Park.
- Pinehaven Retirement Residence: This senior housing facility is conveniently located along a city bus route, with a stop found directly in front of the building which makes it easy for active seniors to explore Waterloo. The residence includes independent and assisted living units, along with a common courtyard and flower garden. On-site services include dining, housekeeping and laundry, church services, hair care, and 24-hour professional support.
- Waterloo Heights: This nine-storey building features large one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments, many of which come with private balconies. The residence is set in a peaceful neighbourhood, within walking distance of medical facilities, parks, theatres, churches, shopping, public transportation, and other amenities. The residence includes a café, lounge, laundry facilities, recreation room equipped with computers, a piano, and an organ, as well as an outdoor patio with barbecue. Other amenities include on-site staff, secure entry, and regular group activities.
- The Westhill: The Westhill provides independent and assisted living options in studio apartments, one- or two-bedroom suites, as well as suites with a bedroom plus living room. In addition to weekly housekeeping, daily meals, and recreation, a number of other additional services are available depending on the senior’s needs. The building is set in a tranquil cul de sac, only a few minutes away from shopping, dining, golfing, and other amenities in the city. A café, theatre, fitness facilities, dining room, and pub are all found on-site.