The Three MAKE OR BREAK Questions to Ask Your Realtor BEFORE You List
By: Tyler O’Donovan
With more than one thousand realtors in KW, choosing the right one can be daunting. These three simple questions can make all the difference in selecting the right realtor.
WHAT YOU MUST ASK A REALTOR BEFORE YOU HIRE THEM:
- “How many homes did you sell last year?”
You’re looking for a sweet spot here. Less than five homes in a year means that the realtor likely doesn’t sell homes full time; but more than 75 homes means that you probably won’t get a lot of individual attention. Someone who’s sold 15-20 homes last year is likely a mover and a shaker, but not so busy that you get lost in the shuffle.
- “Of your last five listings, how close did you get to the original asking price?”
This will tell you a few things: first, how is the market? If a top realtor is struggling to get list price, it might not be the right time to sell. Second, how good is the realtor at assessing the true value of your home? Realtors love to promise sellers the moon just to get the listing (knowing they can always reduce the price later). But those realtors aren’t doing you any favors. Look for someone who consistently gets 95% of the original list price.
- “How will you market my home?”
(This is perhaps THE most important question to ask.)
The best way to get top dollar for your home is to have several buyers competing for it. Savvy realtors can create this effect with a variety of marketing efforts. Look for outside-the-box solutions like these:
- Teaser emails: “I’m about to list a stunning home in Laurelwood next week. Contact me now to be one of the first to see it.”
- Social media push: “Know someone looking for a home in Laurelwood? TAG them so that don’t miss out on this gorgeous 3/2 townhome”.
- Creative Videos/Photos: A :30 second teaser video of your home’s best features will attract curious buyers to your open house. Google Street Views allow buyers to see your entire street from their lap top. Drone photography can make your home and yard look stately and timeless. The right realtor will employ the right visual tactics to show your home in the very best light possible.
- In a nutshell, you want the advertisements for your home to cut through the clutter of mailbox flyers and print ads. Ask your realtor how they plan to make your property shine.
Remember, 92% of home buyers begin their search on the internet. An aggressive digital marketing strategy is a must.
A final word of advice: Before a realtor evaluates your home, you need to evaluate the realtor. Your home is likely your single greatest financial asset. Don’t be afraid to make a prospective realtor work hard to win your listing.
“You’d have to go a long way to beat Tyler’s hard work, enthusiasm and ability to close a deal.” – Mark W.
“Tyler got me exactly the price I wanted. He not only gets the job done, he gets outstanding results as well!”– Patrick O.
“Tyler is honest and easy to work with. He listens, works with your needs, and does not waste your time.”– Joe B.
I’d be happy to let you interview me to be your realtor…no strings attached.
If you’re thinking of selling your home, I’ll make myself available for a phone or Skype interview so you can gage if I’m a good fit for you. Fill in this form and I’ll get back to you right away. Then, we can set a time for you to talk to me via phone, Skype, Facetime or at a coffee shop. I look forward to hearing from you.
(PS:I have zero tolerance for spam, and you have my word that I will not share this information with anyone. )